How can we learn on-line

After reading this week I really started questioning how we learn on-line. Most of the time I have struggled with trying to get my students to get things out of using social media tools. I have used the, for extra credit but I still do not get enough participation to see growth using the tools. After reading "Networked Knowledge Activities" by V. Dennen, I can see several examples of activities and how they can engage students. She also says that to engage is to emerse themselves in an on-line tool.

 I really think that taking this information and applying it to the classroom will help engage my students. I honestly want to avoid some of the activities because I can implement them in the class with regular activities. For example, collecting, I can accomplish this by ordinary classroom assignments and can ignore on-line tools. Some of the others are better and I think they are going to be fully helpful in engaging students. Activities like curating, negotiating, and constructing are going to fit perfectly into the way I want my classes to work. I think that students can really take the things that we do in class and collaborate to engage in these activities.

So after taking some time to do some more research on these networked knowledge activities I believe there are several tools that fit what they are asking. Tools like voicethread, which allows students to create something new. They could use a wiki space to collaborate/negotiate on what answers that they need to included. Finally they can use a site like pearltrees to curate data and documents that can help students learn.

What do you guys think would work in a classroom setting? How can I engage students more?

Comments

  1. I think VoiceThread will definitely be a way to engage students. I could see it being a space for people who want to ask questions, but maybe feel uncomfortable asking in class or need more time to process before asking their questions. I also like that students can respond to one another. The Wiki or Nuclino would be a great page for any type of group document, but I do like the visual aspects of any of the curation sites.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual History 360

Going offline

What's in a hashtag?