Periscope VS YouTube


So earlier today I embarked on a personal challenge of mine. This was to try and reach different groups of people through the social media outlets Periscope and YouTube. These are two tools that I want to use in my classroom for students this year. In this post I am going to tell you a few things about why I want to use these two outlets, what they are, and how my experience was while using them.
First, the reason why I want to use these two outlets is because I am drawing inspiration from two people that I look up to. The first is my friend Andy who is a teacher in Osceola County, FL. He has used YouTube successfully in his class for a few years. Seeing the students comment and talk about the videos in my own class caused me to have a desire to use it in my own unique way to help students learn. The other is a radio personality I find fascinating. Clay Travis is a prominent radio show host on Fox sports network. He started his rise to this position by using his Periscope to draw in audiences. He would come on around 2-3 o’clock in the afternoons every day and had a huge following of people. He would have at sometimes 2,500 people listening at one time. Once I saw this I knew that massive audiences could be reached by this medium. Using these two social media platforms I hope, will help me extend my professional learning network as well.
Next, you might ask yourself what are these two social media platforms? Well, most of us know what YouTube is. It is a social media site that offers people the opportunity to post videos that they like, they produce, or that they have had a hand in creating. It can be something that you make public and you can have others subscribe to your channel. This is a great medium if you have videos that you think are important for others to see or you want to create something new for them to view. These videos will stay on this social media platform forever. You actually can go and see the very first YouTube video still posted, it is still there!! Periscope is a little different. Periscope can be connected to your Facebook or to you Twitter feed and you can have automatic notices sent out that you are about to go live and record a video. There is no editing in Periscope so the experience is natural. People can comment while you are recording the video and you can have conversations with people while you are recording. Unlike having to go back and look at the comments left on YouTube. The only drawback is the videos only stay open for 24 hours.
Finally, how has my experience been? Well, on YouTube I have not had any views on the video I posted. This is kind of a bummer but I think if I would have advertised it more I would have gotten some views. I also think if I could have figured out how to post it to our class page I would have gotten a lot more. On Periscope however, I have had a total of 47 views on the same video I posted and gained 3 more followers. I do think I will try and use both of these again and see how the results vary. Thanks for anybody who viewed the videos. Hope you guys are doing great.

Comments

  1. Chris, I cannot find your YouTube channel to check out your video. I searched for "Chris Grubb" and got a lot of results, but none of them appear to be you. I thought your dual-channel experiment was very interesting because it seems like it represents the next leap in social media communications. Over time we've gradually gone from static text posts to more real-time but still primarily text messages. Then we expanded into sharing images and merging those images with text. Then we could share short animations to convey our emotions (GIFs) which lead to actual video sharing with text based comments. Now with Periscope, those videos are being shared live and people are able to experience something as it is happening and unfolding. It still seems we are limited in the 2-way communication, as comments are limited to written text and hearts - which appear to be the real-time equivalent of the Facebook Like button. These comments are streaming in real-time so the video author can actually respond to the feedback on the spot. I don't think we are too far away from having the ability to experience these live events and contribute to the conversation with our own live video feeds - like a massive video teleconference. All of this innovation and technological development points to the fact that as human beings we seek out connections with others. In the world of Photoshop and fancy editing, there is something appealing in viewing a live video broadcast with all its flaws and unscripted emotion. It’s an authentic experience, and that is what we are truly after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris, great post! It’s very informative. I loved your idea of using Periscope for your students. Periscope is certainly one of the more exciting apps that has recently made its way onto the social media scene. Using live streaming is an easy way to help with professional learning for teachers from the comfort of their own classrooms or even at home. It’s very easy to use. Since Periscope launched this spring, educators have discovered tons of useful applications for the app, such as for streaming virtual field trips or for staff development. I think it’s great to be able to do something like that, especially for kids—you’re opening new doors and taking them out of the classroom and into the world to explore. It’s extremely valuable. These are some of the Periscope mavens you might want to check out and follow: @TG_Neil @TanyaSpillane @sarahdateechur @tonyvincent @KleinErin @martypark @ProfEdTech @JenWilliamsEDU @Catherine_D2013 @danderson0913. Also, do check out the hashtag: #periscopeEDU. Here is an infographic that you might find useful: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/50eca855e4b0939ae8bb12d9/t/5835a0803e00be1e3358ec19/1479909518217/?format=750w. Do you see any downsides of Periscope though? Like disappearing comments, perishability of videos, privacy issues, etc.? Would love to hear more from you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Going offline

Virtual History 360

What's in a hashtag?