Produsage with Web 2.0

So this week we were tasked with creating an assignment for perspective students to produce something using Web2.0 tools. I thought this was a challenging assignment. I thought so because I do not really know the students that I am teaching. This can be a big indication if such an assignment is going to work. However, I trudged ahead and began to let my mind wonder. I created an assignment where students had to take information from classroom study and put that information on to a wiki page. This page could then be used as a study guide for the whole class. The students would be divided into different groups so we could collaborate to create the whole.
After this portion of the assignment students would then create a voicethread that contained the information as well. This might seem repetitive but this forces the students to synthesize the information into their own words and thoughts. It also helps students who are not typical read and learn kids. Overall, I though this assignment could be successful. The last part of the assignment asked us to reflect on the lesson. This was the hardest for me because I did not have any data to back up if it was successful or it was a failure. I fell in the middle saying some students did well others did not. Typically this is what you will see in a classroom. Some students will do well and others will not.
What ideas did you guys come up with? Share them below so we can see all of the types of lessons we thought of. Have a great weekend and just remember, One More Week!!

Comments

  1. Hey Chris, I also incorporated a wiki page in my Produsage prototype. It wasn't as easy as I thought to find a suitable platform. A lot of the options I found were geared toward setting up a server side client, which I still don't fully understand. Anyway, I ended up using EditMe and it was pretty easy to work with. I was curious what platform you went with and what your experience was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, I liked your produsage idea. I used Padlet for my prototype. Padlet is a great collaboration tool for teachers and students alike. Padlet can also be great for gathering ideas and comments in meetings or at events. I definitely see an increase in its use in higher education as an important collaboration and instructional tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris! I think a Wiki page is a great idea for this type of assignment! I really like how you incorporated VoiceThread too. VoiceThread has quickly become one of my favorite tools out there and I'll definitely be using it frequently in the future.
    I think the reflection paper was mainly about your thoughts with the selected tools and how it could present challenges in practice. I used Padlet for mine, and one of my biggest concerns about using it in practice was that the timestamps were never correct. If I needed to grade student work and make sure they were posting before the deadline, it would be really difficult. Any time someone interacts with a post AT ALL, the time updates. I wish Padlet locked the times for each interaction!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual History 360

Going offline

What's in a hashtag?