Why do we use social media

Social media is a great tool that I use on a daily basis. When I wake up in the morning I go straight to my phone and open the twitter app. I search my app for my favorite morning news personality and click the link to start my day. Social media has become such a vital part of our lives that we do not even think about why we use the tools that we do.
Facebook came along around the time I was in college. When I used Facebook back then it was always to try and get girls. That was really the only reason I had any social media to begin with. I still remember 4-5 mins into a conversation with somebody at a party and throwing out the line "you on facebook?". Since then social media is not just a place where people hook up and hang out it is a vital life line to the outside world. I know that social media does not make up the entire population but it is a massive number of people. Twitter is one of the social media mediums that I use the most. As stated earlier, I use it first thing in the morning. I also use it throughout the day when trying to track weather, politics, and news. It is a great tool to see how the world is reacting to certain news that drops. I know that you should not follow everybody but you should get on board with some note worthy folks. So I use social media to keep up to date on news and events.
Why do you use social media???

Comments

  1. I definitely use Twitter the most as well. It basically gives me everything that I need for my day's entertainment all in one place! For one, news is easily accessible. It helps that a lot of people that I follow are heavily involved activists who will repost what matters the most to me. At the same time, a lot of my friends will post humourous things. I would say that I use Twitter to destress and just check out for a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, your post got me thinking about connections and since I'm relatively late to the social media scene, I can't really answer my own question. Do you find that the connections you have on Twitter simply reinforce your current views and ideas or do you find that it exposes you to a wider variety of things that you otherwise would not have been exposed to? I'm sure the original design of Twitter was with an eye toward the latter, but I'm curious what the reality is. Does the unparalleled access to infinite viewpoints we currently enjoy foster broader awareness or do we still retreat to the perspectives that we identify with?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Going offline

Virtual History 360

What's in a hashtag?